Thank you, for your interest
- Since 2002, I have been one of the world's most in-demand and successful MBA admissions consultants
- I help clients around the world get admitted to MBA programs at HBS, Stanford, Columbia, INSEAD, MIT, Chicago Booth, Kellogg, Wharton, LBS
- I provide the world's best MBA admissions support to a select group of global leaders
- My service (hosted at VincePrep.com and owned by CityStages LLC) reflects 30 years of professional experience in teaching critical thinking, improvisational theatre, storytelling, and instructional design
- I also help a select handful of former clients engage stakeholders and advance their careers by preparing for TED Talks & funding pitches
- Please, contact me to learn more
What is Vince's consulting style?
- To quote a top tennis coach, “I’ve got your back"
- During our sessions, I try to maintain the right balance between asking good questions and listening to your answers
- I also try to avoid providing unsolicited advice; that puts the onus on you to ask my opinion when you want it; I know I have a reputation as a somewhat difficult personality, and I work hard to avoid pushing my opinions on you or your story; I know I am not always right and greatly enjoy being proven wrong; I try to keep a beginners mind, despite being sought out for my experience
- Ultimately, we both seek the same result
- I want to help you identify the best mix of stories that will maximize your chances of being interviewed and admitted
- I often ask, “How can you connect with your admissions office readers on an emotional level?”
- Applicants who lack deep writing training often struggle to tell stories on paper with the same passion they use to tell stories in person
- Adding emotional depth and rich detail to your written application materials will help the admissions officers imagine your classroom and event-based contributions
How can Vince help me connect with readers?
Since 2002, I have helped hundreds of applicants get admitted to their dream schools.
If we agree to work together, I will help you:
- Determine your relative strengths and weaknesses compared to past applicants
- Read between the lines to determine why admissions officers ask particular questions
- Guide you step-by-step towards success using time-tested methods & customized creativity
- Research the current admissions environment at your target schools
- Provide an objective view of your materials, as adcoms are likely to view them
- Pull out your best performance, like a personal fitness trainer, or athletic coach
- Reflect industry trends into your goals and accomplishments to convince non-expert readers
- Structure stories so outsiders can understand the cultural context of your achievements
- Motivate you to keep pace with an ambitious but realistic application schedule
What tasks does Vince's consulting service cover?
- school selection strategy (where to apply and when)
- resume creation and editing (what to include on a one-page CV or resume)
- essay brainstorming, outlining, writing, revising, and editing (which stories to tell to which schools)
- recommendation letter strategy (whom to ask and how to help recommenders support your candidacy)
- application data forms (what information to include in data forms and mini essays requested by some top schools)
- interview strategy and mock interview training
What is Vince's suggested best method for completing written application materials?
These are the tasks most clients complete for a typical school:
- Career goals / why MBA essay https://www.vinceprep.com/essays/ymba
- Leadership / accomplishments essay https://www.vinceprep.com/interviews/accomplishments_leadership_teamwork
- Failure / mistake / setbacks essay https://www.vinceprep.com/essays/failure
- Contribution / personality essay + https://pinboard.in/u:Vince/t:brainstorming_contribution
- Letters of recommendation (LoRs) https://www.vinceprep.com/lors
- Application data forms https://www.vinceprep.com/appforms
- Interview preparation https://www.vinceprep.com/interviews
How much time should I expect to spend on each stage of the process?
- Stage 1: Initial 15-minute consultation to determine whether we should work together
- Stage 2: Resume: 1-3 hours
- Stage 3: School selection and strategy: 0-3 hours
- Stage 4: Essays, first school: 3-30 hours
- Stage 5: Recommendations: 1-4 hours for 2-3 recommendations (0-1 hour for each additional school)
- Stage 6: Essays, subsequent schools: 2-10 hours per school
- Stage 7: Interview practice: 2-20 hours in total (English ability and interview skills vary widely)
- Stage 8: Assistance with administrative issues (application data forms, wait list letters): 0-1 hour per school
How long will it take me to finish my first application?
It can take anywhere from four to twelve weeks to complete your first application
How much time you need usually depends on four factors:
1. How deeply you have thought about why you need an MBA
- Can you articulate your strengths and weaknesses?
- Do you know what kind of job you want right after MBA, otherwise known as your short-term goal?
- Do you have a clear and convincing long-term career vision?
- For more insights, please see https://www.vinceprep.com/essays/ymba
2. How quickly you outline and write essays
- Do you have to write in your native language first?
- Can you make logical outlines?
- For more insights, please see
3. How much time you can spend thinking and writing
- Are you especially busy at your job?
- How much travel will you be doing between now and your target school deadlines?
- Are you able to carve out personal writing time during business travel?
- What other family and community commitments will distract you from the creative process that is writing an authentic, self-reflective, concise, and compelling application?
4. How well you balance input from friends, family, mentors, advisers and stakeholders
- Can you send Vince regular updates?
- Can you balance the input of senior colleagues, mentors, friends and family as you find your own voice to best answer each essay question?
- I encourage you to get feedback from people who know you well.
- I only request that you synthesize that feedback and present it to us as your idea
- I cannot share an opinion about whether or not someone else's advice is good or not
- I avoid arguing with people I do not know
- I can only support you as you decide what to share and how to share it in a way that best represents your candidacy and your contributions to your future MBA classmates and alumni community
What is Vince's availability?
- While in Tokyo, I tend to take off Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- While traveling, my days off change depending on conference dates and other commitments
- I am usually based in Tokyo, Japan from September—May and the San Francisco Bay Area, California from June—August
- My availability subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances
- If you need to change a regular weekly meeting, Vince can work offline on written application materials during the session
- If Vince needs to change a regular weekly meeting, we will reschedule our weekly meeting to a mutually convenient time
- For more information, please see https://www.vinceprep.com/services/availability
How can I contact Vince?
- Step one: please contact me using this online form
- Step two: if I have capacity and feel that I can help you, we can arrange a meeting or call
- I can answer questions about my service and we can discuss the possibility of working together