Best Columbia Business School Admissions Tips
Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3-5 years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)
Why do you feel Columbia Business School is a good fit for you? (250 words)
Tell us about your favorite book, movie or song and why it resonates with you. (250 words)
One MBA, Two Paths
Columbia Business School students may enroll in either August or January. The two paths, each comprised of four terms, merge in the fall of the second year to complete electives as a single class. The paths are identical in terms of competitiveness of admissions, academic rigor, and student resources, however they differ in terms of timing and the opportunity to complete a summer internship.
About 70 percent of Columbia MBA students begin their studies in the fall term. After mandatory orientation in the second half of August, regular classes begin in September. Most August-entry students complete a summer internship between their second and third terms.
- Available for August entry applicants only
- Application deadline in early October
- Early decision applications are reviewed, and decisions rendered, before regular decision applications
- Candidates have decided that Columbia is their first choice and must sign the following statement of commitment within their applications: I am committed to attending Columbia Business School and will withdraw all applications and decline all offers from other schools upon admission to Columbia Business School.
- Applicants must submit a nonrefundable $6,000 tuition deposit within two weeks of admission
- Candidates may submit regular decision applications as soon as the application becomes available in the summer
- Regular decision applications are reviewed after early decision applications
- No statement of commitment required
- To be considered for merit-based fellowships, applications must be submitted by the specified merit-based fellowship deadline in early January
- Final application deadline in April
Students who do not want or need an internship may consider beginning their MBA studies in January and completing their second semester of classes during the summer. A January start may be ideal for students who wish to remain in the same industry after graduation or pursue entrepreneurial interests. About 30 percent of students enter in January.
Please note that there is no early decision option for January entry and that, due the timing of the application cycle, January-entry applicants are not eligible for merit fellowship consideration. The Admissions Office begins reviewing applications for January entry once the application becomes available in June. The final application deadline is in early October.
*The deadline for the 3-year MBA/JD program is February 15, 2012.
Information is subject to change. Please verify all data with the schools.